Paul Thomas Anderson is BACK



A sprawling epic of family, faith, power and oil, the new film from writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson (Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Boogie Nights) is set on the incendiary frontier of California's turn-of-the-century petroleum boom. When Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) gets a mysterious tip-off that there's a little town out West where an ocean of oil is oozing out of the ground, he heads there with his son H.W. (Dillon Freasier).
In this hardscrabble town, where the main excitement centers around the church of charismatic preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), they make their lucky strike. But even as the well raises all of their fortunes, nothing will remain the same as conflicts escalate and every human value—love, hope, community, belief, ambition and even the bond between father and son—is imperiled by corruption, deception and the flow of oil.


3 comments:

kmike said...

This looks like a good movie. I hope to check it out soon.

kmike said...

We're checking this one out tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

kmike said...

Not tight fool. Again, P.T. Anderson proves why he is the most overrated director in Hollywood today. I know I am in the minority here and I don't care. Not a fan of his movies and this one did nothing to change my opinion. I heard somewhere that somebody from Radiohead did the score for this one and that may be true, it had all the symptoms of a Radiohead score. But it was too intense, too overdone, too distracting from what is taking place on screen. Which, BTW, is not much. What does P.T. Anderson have against editing? Here is yet another more than 2 1/2 hr long film from him that could have used at least 40 minutes or more shaved off in editing. Cinematography? Spotty. Plot? Weak at best. Predictable and poorly paced would be more accurate. There are some very strong scenes in this movie but they are few and far between. On the whole the acting was very good and Daniel Day Lewis specifically was, per usual, amazing. He brings a depth to evil characters which make them so much more complex and wonderful to watch. Lesser actors would take this character over the top. Even with this amazing performance by Daniel Day Lewis, "Blood" is still only a 3 out of 5 star movie. Without him it is probably about a 2 star movie. Wait for it on dvd.

Archives